
Since Laurie turned 3 in January, I have wanted to kick the paci habit (and Will has hounded me), we "lost" them (and there were quite a lot of them) in Febuary, but Laurie is smarter than us. She quickly picked up a new habit, a much less desirable one, thumb-sucking. Yuck. So, we managed to "find" them, hoping to try again in a few more months.
And I know what you are thinking, if I really wanted to, we could get rid of the pacifier, but really. Isn't life hard enough, why ask for trouble?
So, in April, we tried again, I took a different approach this go round. I poked holes in all of them. It started off as just little pin pricks, but when that didn't seem to bother her, I took an ice pick and went to town. It worked beautifully, with each passing day, she was less and less interested, taking naps and sleeping without even thinking of it. Then one day, in early May, she couldn't find just the right paci she wanted (I am guessing the one with the least damage), so she went to bed without it. Will and I held our breath, not really believing this was the last straw. Over the next weeks, Laurie randomly asked where her paci was, but it was all over. I have had to scavenge the house looking for them, in fear of a set back, but there has been no looking back for her.
I had actually quite forgotten about it, then we found this poor little fellow, lost amongst the toys. I held my breath, wondering how Laurie would respond. With a glimmer of recognition, she looked at it, put it in her mouth and pulled it back out. And that was that.
This is the last photo of Laurie bopping around with her paci, paci-o, paci-ofier.
From now on, when I take embarrassing photos of Laurie sleeping, they will be with a bare mouth. Farewell, dear friend, you were one of the last remnants of Laurie's babyhood and I will miss you.


No comments:
Post a Comment